2011年4月28日星期四

Geography Apps for Apple iPhone/iPad

I have an apple iPhone 3G as well as an iPad. I use them for mini-games, surfing, social communications, and study most of the time. The Apple App Store is amazing as you can find thousand of apps in there, whether it's free or not. Even for some chargeable apps, the price is affordable, normally at about US$0.99 to $3.99.

I have downloaded some apps related to my school modules on my iPhone. For example, I have several dictionaries including an Oxford Dictionary of English, to help me in all modules, especially in English subjects. I also have calculators, mathematics formulas installed for my maths subjects. This semester, as I'm taking the Geography subject, I have done a search in the App Store for free apps on Geography.

Here are some of my findings and I have tried most of them:

World Geography Challenge (by Rothman Institute)
Intro: The World Geography Challenge game improves and tests the knowledge of countries worldwide. Like a puzzle, it asks to drag and drop the country names into the correct locations, given a map of the region. The game also includes a Learning Mode that indicates country names. You are able to submit your score online to compete against gamers worldwide.

Review: The interface is easy to understand and use. The map is not 100% accurate. The North America region is easy to play as there are only 3 countries, USA, Canada, and Mexico. But when I tried the Asia, it was so difficult as there are much more countries and I'm only familiar with those located in East & South Asia. But overall this game is interesting and helpful in remembering the location of countries.


World Geography Hangman (by SCIGON Solutions. Inc)
iPhone Screenshot 2

Intro: The classic Hangman game with a geographical twist! Kids can test their knowledge of world geography with a fun game that creates an engaging, entertaining educational experience. Learn interesting facts about countries around the globe through progressive hints and clues, and identify the country before it's too late.

Review: A game with a lot of fun! I thought it would be easy at the beginning, but after I tried several rounds, I found in fact it also tests a lot of knowledge on geographical facts. For example, I was given a hint: "a country in Eastern Europe", and "famous for wine", starts with a "M". I lost that round after some tries and the final answer was "Moldova". I learned some new thing after playing this round!


Geo Play 2 (by Eamonn and Ian)
Geo Play 2


Intro: Fun geography review and quiz. States, countries, international capitals, continents, potpourri. Pick and choose the categories, questions per game. Play as a multiple choice game, or just review geography facts with flash cards. Over 80 questions, plus can upgrade to the pro version with over 400 questions. Keep track of your high scores. A glossary is included for quick reference.

Review: This one has more contents than the 2 games above. Plus there is "pro" version upgradeable with a price of $1.99. A very interesting game for the kids to learn and test the geography knowledge.


I found a lot of fun in playing with these and more geography games/apps provided in Apple App Store. I suggest all of us should make use of the latest technology, such as mobile devices and online blogs, to enhance our learning experience and interests. Friends, please download and try these apps and feel free to come to play the games with me!



没有评论:

发表评论